— A former police officer in northern Alberta has been charged with three counts of sexual assault after police said he forced himself on a woman and then raped her at his home.
Police said a forensic examination of the woman’s clothes and her clothing recovered from the home found a bloodied mattress.
The woman told police she was sexually assaulted by an unidentified male in the home and that she believed she was being attacked by her former partner.
In a news release on Thursday, police said the woman told them she believed the man was her former husband and had been dating him for three years.
Police identified the man as Andrew Thomas-Gorman, a former Royal Canadian Mounted Police officer.
Police have said the incident happened last June.
A spokesperson for the RCMP’s Integrated Child Exploitation and Obscenity Unit said they are investigating.
“The investigation into this matter is ongoing and further information will be released at a later date,” the spokesperson said.
The news release also said the case was reviewed by the Alberta Serious Incident Response Team.
Police were called to the home on June 25, the same day the woman reported the incident to police.
Police found the woman, who was in her 20s, naked on the living room floor and told her the man had raped her.
“She said she believed him, and that they had been having an affair,” the news release said.
Thomas-Goorman was charged on Thursday.
Police are seeking a public protector.
He has not been charged in relation to the alleged rape.
“This incident has impacted the lives of a number of victims,” RCMP Sgt. Dan Smith said in a news conference on Thursday afternoon.
“It is a tragedy for a lot of them.”
The RCMP said in the release that the incident is being investigated by the Integrated Child Protection and Intervention Team.
“There are numerous victims, as well as a number who are not involved in the criminal justice system,” Smith said.
He added that the investigation is ongoing.
The RCMP has also released a video of the alleged assault, which shows Thomas-Guerre pulling his pants down and rubbing his penis against the woman.
Police also released surveillance images of the man and said the victim told police he was at home with the man on June 26, but the RCMP said that information was not shared with the Crown.
The investigation into the alleged sexual assault is being conducted by the Royal Canadian Police’s Integrated Crime Investigation Unit.
In addition to Thomas-Galler, the investigation into his sexual assault continues.
The Mounties also announced on Thursday that they have charged a 22-year-old man in connection with the alleged incident, which occurred in August.
The charges relate to an investigation that was launched last June into allegations that a woman in the community had been sexually assaulted.
Police say they believe the incident was in the summer of 2016.